Techfest is a unique recruiting event that connects hiring companies with tech talent in major cities across North America. Throughout the evening, hiring company executives pitch a crowd of potential employees on why they’re the best employer in the room.
At Techfest, dream jobs are abound. Everybody wants ’em, but not everybody gets ’em. Even the most aggressively hiring companies only have so many positions open, and they are of course reserved for the best talent they can find.
These white-hot companies turn to Techfest to tap into the finest local talent. So attending a Techfest is your first step toward an amazing career. But wait—if the caliber of attendees at a Techfest is high across the board, how do you stand out in a sea of stand-outs? Well, here’s your guide to being the best of the best.
Be Comfortable Networking
To some, mixing and mingling comes naturally. Others dread it. For the latter, level the playing field with these tips:
- Bring a friend. This can keep you at ease in an intense social setting and give you courage to approach others.
- Smile. If you look happy, others will be much more likely to approach you, which takes the burden off you.
- Introduce yourself online ahead of time. Using social media like Twitter to let a company know in advance you’ll be checking their booth out can help break the ice. “Hi there! We spoke on Facebook recently. As I mentioned, I’m really interested in your engineering opportunities…”
Clean Up Your Digital Self
Nobody has a perfectly manicured online presence. But some are worse than others. Make sure to clean up any publicly available social media channels so a potential employer who may search you online does not get a poor impression of you.
Double-check your privacy settings and try to look at your Instagram and Twitter accounts through the lens of a prospective employer: would you hire you based on your Facebook, for example?
Learn About a Company and Their Open Roles Before Techfest
With the top tech companies in the country participating at Techfest, you’re going to want to do your research in advance. Be sure to review their open roles on the Techvibes Job Board to insure that you’re laser-focused on the opportunities best suited to your skill set. You’ll also come across as “in-the-know” if you can inquire about a specific position. Bonus point!
You Only Get One First Impression
With up to 1,000 attendees per Techfest, recruiters see a lot of faces. Here’s how to be remembered.
- Dress for the job you want, not the one you have. A suit may be extreme, but an ill-fitting graphic tee and faded jeans suggest you don’t invest in yourself. A proper outfit and a good haircut will mean people can’t judge you negatively before they even speak to you (which, even if subconsciously, does happen).
- Polish your resume. There’s no need to bring a paper resume in person, but make sure it’s easily accessible online, and that it is up to date and sharp as can be.
- Be passionate and curious. While remaining authentic, it’s important to convey passion for your desired career path and express curiosity about a company’s potential opportunities for you. You could be a conversation away from your dream job—so overcome any anxiety you may feel and showcase your excitement (without coming off as cocky).
Not registered for a Techfest yet? If you’re actively exploring your career options, check out our upcoming events.